Иногда не так уж и просто подобрать интересные творческие задания для эвристических олимпиад по предмету. Участвуя в конкурсе «Дистанционный учитель года – 2009», центр «Эйдос», г. Москва я, в рамках данного конкурса, разработала ряд заданий по английскому языку для различных возрастных групп учащихся.
Эвристические задания помогают не только определить уровень знания предмета учащимися, но проявить творчество, оригинальность, смекалку. А главное – здесь нет готовых ответов. Каждый ученик сам решает, как ему стоит выполнить данное задание.
Задания для возрастной группы: 10-11-е классы
1. There are different holidays in the world. Some of them are state, others are personal (family, main events in your life, etc). Create your new holiday in Russia. (When and why is it celebrated? What are pros and cons for it? How it is called? What attributes and decoration does it need? etc.
2. Do you know the story about “Sandford Orcas Manor”?
Next to the church in the village of Sanford Orcas there is an old gatehouse. If you go through the gate you arrive at the sinister manor house which is famous for its large number of ghosts. But perhaps the most frighten story is of a young man who grew up in the house and then became a sailor. While he was at sea, he killed a boy, and then went mad. When he returned to Sanford Orcas, they locket him in a room at the back of the house. He never left the room again, and died there several years later. On some nights when the moon is full, you can hear him screaming and banging on the door of the room. Why does he do it? Now, imagine that you are this man. Try to explain us your thoughts, emotions and feelings, as if you are this ghost.
3. Do you know poems about Russia?
In Russian Literature there are a lot of them. Such for example: “ An anthem to Russia” by E. Evtushenko
Будь, Россия, навсегда Россией!
И не плачь, припав к другим на грудь!
Будь свободной, сильной и красивой!
Даже, если нас не будет – Будь!...
I’ve translated these lines into English:
Be Russia! Be forever!
And don’t cry when happens whatever!
Be strong and powerful my dear land!
Much happiness to you I send!
Oh, Russia, dear Russia!
God shed his grace on thee!
And in the case we aren’t exist
In spite of this you’ll be!
Now, try to write your own rhyme about our great country, or to translate some lines of Russian poets into English.
4. Write in column your first name
Explain each letter in it in your variant. Explain us why you think so.
Emotion (I think, I’m such a person because…)
5. “Personal problems”
You are a journalist of the youth magazine. You’ve received such a letter:
“Last year, my girlfriend wanted to take a business course but she
didn’t have enough money. Her parents couldn’t help, so I lent her the money. Now
she’s finished the course, and has found a good job, but she hasn’t offered to pay me
back any of the money. I’ve mentioned once or twice, but she just laughs and talks about
something else. I love my girlfriend, but I want my money back too”.
Now think over this problem and give a writing answer of this problem in your magazine to this young man.
Задание для 8-9-х классов
1. Every country has its own sights of view. People are proud of them, because such things are a part of history and culture of the country. Fill the table and compare what is alike in Moscow (Russia) and London (Great Britain) sights.
The Red square
The Trafalgar square
2. “The food we like to eat in Russia”
Imagine that you are a chef in a good Russian restaurant. Try to write
your recipe of Russian dish. Look this variant:
“Chicken “Tabaka” from the Caucasus”
Chicken “Tabaka” is roasted under the press for an hour. Before placing it on the frying pan rubs it with salt, pepper, garlic and cut greens. Enjoy it!
3. Translate this poem into Russian. Try to give a poetical translation
“A man is made”
A man is made
Of flesh and blood
Of eyes and bones and water.
The very same things make his son
As those that make
A tree is made
Of leaf and sap,
Of bark and fruit and berries.
It keeps a bird’s nest
In its boughs
And blackbirds eat the cherries.
A table’s made
Of naked wood
Planed smooth as milk. I wonder
If tables ever dream of sun,
Of wind, and rain, and thunder?
And when man takes
His axe and strikes
And sets the sawdust flying –
Is it a table being born?
Or just a tree that’s dying?
4. “The most striking things”
At first read this short conversation:
– What struck you most on your travels?
– Other people’s umbrellas.
But what are the most striking things for you? Write a short composition about 3 – 5 of them.
Use your dictionary and translate idiomatically these word expressions:
- get cold feet;
- go through the roof;
- bury your head in the sand;
- have butterflies in your stomach;
- break the ice;
- be over the moon;
- break someone’s heart.
Write English sentences and use these idioms.
Задания для учащихся 6-7-х классов
1. Аll of us have some wishes. We wish about new things, feelings,
I tried to write a rhyme about my dreams, using a grammar structure: “I wish I had…” Here it is:
I wish I had a gold fish,
A parrot and a hamster,
I wish I had a walkman,
And bicycle one.
I wish I had a computer and a cassette-recorder…
But I’m press for money, and nothing can be done!
Use this grammar structure “I wish I had” and create your own rhyme about your dreams.
2. “Tolerance with people”
I think that tolerance helps you to make friends. Tolerance means to
respect other people’s likes and dislikes, opinions and beliefs.
It also means not to start an argument over something you disagree with.
A tolerant person is a person, who is fair and not makes fun on people. He is kind, helpful, kind-hearted, thoughtful and more.
Task: ask your friends and make up 7 questions for the form: “You are tolerant – yes or no”
Ex: 1. Can you share your pocket-money with your friend?
3. It is usual in America to stick some notes and cards on the fridge. These are the variants of two notes. Read them and create your own “Family rules”. Write about 6 sentences.
– We want to be a loving family.
– We want to be alert at school and work, etc…
– We will always be home by 10 o’clock.
– We will not do anything that will lead to immorality. Etc…
4. Our mood can be different in different days. It can change like the weather. Try to describe your mood, as if it is one of the seasons of the year. Write about 6-7 sentences, using adjectives concerning the weather.
5. “Ten the most intelligent animals”
Do animals think, or do they act merely from instinct?
These questions have been debated by many people. Dr. Blair has worked with animals for many years. What does he think?
“It is my judgment that all animals think”, said Dr. Blair, formerly director of the New York Zoological Park, who has spent many years as a companion of animals. “When we see animals showing affection, sympathy, jealousy or anger can we doubt that there are thoughts accompanying these feelings?”
Dr. Blair believes that the ten most intelligent animals are:
- the chimpanzee;
- the orangutan;
- the elephant;
- the gorilla;
- the dog;
- the beaver;
- the horse;
- the sea lion;
- the bear;
- the cat.
Imagine that you are speaking at the scientific conference. Choose one animal from this list. Try to give many arguments as you can, proving the idea that this animal is really the most intelligent.
Задания для 3-5-х классов
1. Read this rhyme and try to translate it into Russian in a poetry form. Try to give the readers all details of the rhyme.
Cats sleep anywhere,
Any table, any chair.
Top of piano, window-edge,
In the middle on the edge.
Open drawer, empty shoe,
Anybody’s lap will do.
Fitted in a cardboard box,
In the cupboard with your frocks –
They don’t care!
Cats sleep anywhere.
2. As you know, friends like to visit each other at home. It’s a good tradition to treat the guests with something delicious. Make a holiday menu for your friend Winnie – the – Pooh.
3. Our life is boring without friends. Do you know a phrase: “Friendship is a thing for two, three or four, even more…?” This is a rhyme about my friend:
My friend’s name is Jessie.
She’s smart but a little messy.
She looks like Jane Fonda,
Who is she fond of?
She’s funny and very kind.
She likes me too! And I don’t mind!
Now try yourself and write you rhyme about your friend in English.
4. Try to explain each letter in the word “English”.
E – Educated
I – intelligent
D – different
5. You are a doctor. Give some advises to Karlson, because he is ill. Tell
him what he can or must do to be well.
Explain him what he mustn’t do in this case.
Задания для 2-х классов
1. “A sentence chain”
Make such a sentence, when the last letter in the word will be the beginning of the next one. Make 5 such sentences.
Example: A caT TakeS Sausage.
2. Using Russian and English sentences make up a rhyme.
Я вижу солнце – I see sun.
Оно разгуливает по небесам.
Я вижу звёзды – I see stars.
На них смотрел я много раз.
3. Imagine that you see a big cloud. On this cloud you can read a word – FORECAST (прогноз погоды). Try to make as many new words as possible from this one. Use only the letters giving in this word. (Don’t use one letter twice in one word). These new words are drops of rain.
Example: cat – кот, etc.
4. You know that your friend has a strange pet. Ask some questions about it and then draw a picture of this animal, as you see it.
5. As you know each color has its meaning. Read the text about colors and then choose one you like best of all and write English words which can be of this color.
Психолог Дж. Люшер проделал большую работу по изучению значения цвета для человека. И вот к каким выводам он пришёл:
Красный – активность, творчество, преодоление старого, стремление проявить своё.
Розовый – инфантильность, мягкость.
Зелёный – служение, помощь, доброта, согласие, взаимодействие.
Синий – покой, открытость.
Голубой – чистота и целомудрие, успокоение, умиротворение.
Желтый – оптимизм, проявление разумного начала, конструктивность.
Оранжевый – символ развития, направленности на успех.
Фиолетовый – тайна, волшебство.
Коричневый – символ тревоги, зависти, неудовольствия.
Серый – пассивность, скромность.
Белый – безупречность, чистота.
Чёрный – критика, осуждение.