Тип урока: проверка домашнего чтения (тексты для чтения раздаются заранее) с использованием справочных материалов, электронных энциклопедий, электронных одноязычных словарей, мультимедийного оборудования и Интернета online.
Образовательная: учить обучащихся ориентироваться в информационном пространстве, получать информацию и оперировать ею в соответствии с собственными потребностями и требованиями современного высокотехнологичного общества.учить работать с электронными словарями и энциклопедиями; познакомить обучащихся с творчеством известной английской писательницы Джоан Роулинг и ее произведением “Гарри Поттер и Орден феникса”.
Развивающая: развивать познавательный интерес к поиску интересного и полезного в электронных источниках информации и развивать умение использовать готовые электронные продукты в своей учебной деятельности.
Воспитательная: прививать любовь к чтению на английском языке.
Оборудование: мультимедийный проектор, экран; портреты Джоан Роулинг, иллюстрации к книге “Гарри Поттер и Орден феникса” (проецируются на экран); раздаточный материал (карточки, таблицы).
1. Вводная беседа по теме урока.
а) Teacher: I am sure you all like reading. What English writers do you know? (Daniel Defoe, Rudyard Kipling, Joanne Rowling). Have you read any books by Joanne Rowling? This British author is best known as the creator of the Harry Porter fantasy series.
b) Сообщение темы и задач урока.
Teacher: We'll sum up the facts about Joanne Rowling and her famous novel "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" today. We'll also:
- read the text "First Day at School in Year Five" and find out interesting information in it;
- use new vocabulary in speech;
- revise grammar: regular and irregular verbs;
- take part in discussions;
c) Let's make a calendar.Робота на сайте Starfall в режиме online.
Ученики составляют календарь с помощью интернет-страницы Starfall и записывают дату урока в тетради.
Teacher: We'll start our lesson with the presentation of the reference information. The group of pupils was given the task to surf the Internet and find some facts about life and creative work of the author of the novel in electronic encyclopedias, such as Wikipedia, Encyclopedia Britannica and others. The other group of pupils worked with electronic dictionaries, such as Collins Cobuild (EN-EN) Dictionary, Oxford (EN-EN) Dictionary and others.
II. Основная часть урока.
1. Group Work. Speaking. (Одна группа работала с электронными словарями, другая группа готовила материал об авторе книги)
Group 1. Pupil 1.What is phoenix? We consulted some electronic dictionaries and encyclopedias and here are the results of our work.
Интерактивное упражнение “виселица” A HANGMAN [http://learningapps.org/display?v=p9ttv3d9a]
Phoenix [fi:niks], n, (pl. Phoenixes), usually singular.
A phoenix is an imaginary bird which, according to ancient stories, burns itself to ashes every five hundred years and is then born again. If you describe someone or something as a phoenix, you mean that they return again after seeming to disappear or be destroyed. [Collins Cobuild (EN-EN) Dictionary]
Phoenix, n, (in classical mythology) a unique bird that lived for five or six centuries in the Arabian desert, after this time burning itself on a funeral pyre (погребальный костер) and rising from the ashes with renewed youth to live through another cycle - "rise like a phoenix from the ashes"
Pupil 2. Née [nei] (also nee). You use née after a married woman's name and before you mention the surname she had before she got married. Syn: born
Wizardry [wizə (r) dri] (mass noun), the art or practice of magic.
Worldwide [wз:(r)ldwaid] adj., extending or reaching throughout the world.
Pupil 3.Instalment [instɔ: lmənt] n., any of several parts of something which are published, broadcast etc.
Philanthropist [fɪlænθrəpɪst], n, pl. philanthropists. A philanthropist is someone who freely gives money and help to people who need it.
(В соответствии с уровнем подготовки группы, лексический материал можно толковать или переводить).
Group 2. Pupil 1.The author of the novel "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" is Joanne Rowling. She was born in July 1965 in England. She grew up in Chepstow, Gwent where she went to Wyedean Comprehensive. She is better known under the pen name JK Rowling [roʊlɪŋ]. She is a British author best known as the creator of the Harry Potter fantasy series. The Potter books have gained worldwide attention. They won many awards and became the basis for a popular series of films.
Pupil 2. As a child, Rowling often wrote fantasy stories and read them to her sister. In 1990 she was on a train trip from Manchester to London. The idea for a story of a young boy attending a school of wizardry came into her mind. In 1995 Rowling finished her manuscript for Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is the fifth installment (отдельный пятый выпуск) in the Harry Potter series. It is in the focus of attention today.
Pupil 3. The novel features Harry Potter's struggles through his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is the longest book in the series. It was published in 2003. The book has been made into a film in 2007. It has also been made into several video games. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has won several awards. It was named the Best Book for Young Adults in 2003.Joanne Rowling became multi-millionaire. She is a notable philanthropist.
1) Pre-reading tasks. Активизация лексического и грамматического материала. Раздаточный материал-карты. Phonetics.
Снятие фонетических трудностей (названия школьных предметов и имен учителей): History of Magic, Potions, Divination, Defense against the Dark Arts, Charms, Transfiguration, Professor Binns, Snape, Professor Trelawney, Professor Umbridge, Professor Flitwick, McGonagall.
Writing. Vocabulary. http://learningapps.org/display?v=pxdthdo9c
Match the words with their Russian equivalents.
Tick irregular verbs and give three forms of them.
|1||To fall asleep||уснуть|
|2||To take notes||делать заметки|
|10||To make sure||удостовериться|
|12||To spend||тратить, проводить|
2) Reading.Read the story First Day at School in Year Five and give titles to the paragraphs (1-8).
First Day at School in Year Five
1. History of Magic was the most boring subject ever. Professor Binns, their ghost teacher, had such a boring voice, that everyone could fall asleep within ten minutes, five in warm weather. He never changed the form of their lessons, but lectured them without pausing. And they took notes or more often looked sleepily into space. Harry and Ron had passed everything in this subject only because they copied Hermione's notes before exams. She alone could resist the sleepy power of Binns's voice. Today they suffered an hour and a half's lecture on the subject of giant’s wars.
2. In the first ten minutes Harry understood that in another teacher's hands this subject could be interesting, but then he spent the hour and twenty minutes playing "Hangman" on a corner of his parchment with Ron. Hermione looked furiously at them out of the corner of her eye. "How will it be," she asked them coldly as they left the classroom for break (Binns disappeared through the blackboard), "if I do not give you my notes this year?" They did not stop arguing all the way down to Snape's dungeon.
3. Harry came into the Potions classroom behind Ron and Hermione and followed them to their usual table at the back, where he sat down between Ron and Hermione. "Settle down," said Snape coldly shutting the door behind him. There was no real need for that; the moment the class had heard the door close, all movements stopped. Snape's presence was usually enough to produce a class's silence. "Today we will be mixing a new potion. The ingredients and method are on the blackboard. You will find everything you need in the cupboard. You have an hour and a half ... Start. "At the end of the lesson Snape said," Fill a flagon with some of your potion, label it clearly with your name and bring it up to my desk for testing. Homework: twelve inches of parchment on moonstones. I want it on Thursday. "
4. Divination was Harry's least favourite class after Potions, because Professor Trelawney spoke of her death every few lessons. A thin woman in shawls and strings of beads, she always reminded Harry of some kind of insect with her huge glasses which made her eyes very big. She was busy putting copies of old books on each of many little tables. When Harry entered the room she did not notice him, because the room was not light with lamps under scarves and the low fire with a strong smell. He took a seat in the shadows. The rest of the class arrived over the next five minutes.
5. "Good day," said Professor Trelawney in her usual dreamy voice. "And welcome back to Divination. You will find on the tables before you copies of the "The Dream Oracle" by Inigo Imago. "Turn, please, to the introduction, and read what Imago says on dream interpretation. Then, divide into pairs. Use the Dream Oracle to interpret each other's latest dreams. Carry on. "By the time they had all finished reading the introduction of the book, they had only ten minutes left for dream interpretation. It was dull work and in the end Professor Trelawney set them the task to keep a dream diary for a month as homework. Harry was not happy about that at all.
6. When they entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom they found Professor Umbridge at the teacher's desk. The class was quiet as it entered the room; Professor Umbridge was new and nobody knew yet, how strict she was. "Well, good afternoon!" She said when finally the whole class had sat down. A few people murmured "Good afternoon" in reply. "Tut, tut," said Professor Umbridge. "That will not do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to replay, "Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge." One moretime, please. Good afternoon, class! "" Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge, "they chanted back at her.
7. "There, now," said Professor Umbridge sweetly. "That was not too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please. "Many of the class exchanged dark looks; the order "wands away" had never promised an interesting lesson. "Copy down the following, please," said Professor Umbridge. She touched the blackboard and a message appeared on it:
For a couple of minutes the room was full of the sound of quills writing on parchment. When everyone had copied down, Professor Umbrigte said, "Good. I should like you to turn to page five and read chapter one "Basics for Beginners". There will be no need to talk. "Professor Umbridge left the blackboard and settled herself in the chair behind the teacher's desk observing them all closely with her little eyes.
8. After that they had double Charms. Professor Flitwick spent the first fifteen minutes of their lessons lecturing the class on the importance of OWLs - The exams that they had to sit in June. "We shall be working harder than ever to make sure that you all do well," said little Professor Flitwick, sitting as usual on a pile of books so that he could see over the top of his desk. It was the same, if not worse, in Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall. Now panicking slightly about how much homework they had to do, Harry and Ron spent their lunch hour in the library.
3). Post- reading tasks. Answer the questions. Work in pairs.
1. Were Harry's lessons interesting or boring?
2. The pupils sometimes play games during the lessons, don’t they?
3. Were the teachers at Hogwarts strict?
4. What kind of teachers do the pupils like to have?
5. Are there interesting lesson at your school?
6. Who is your favourite teacher?
Match the lessons with their Russian equivalents.
|1||History of Magic||A||Трансфигурация (преобразования)|
|2||Potions||B||Защита от темных искусств|
|4||Defense against the Dark Arts||D||История магии|
Match the lessons with the names of the teachers.
|History of Magic||A||Professor Trelawney|
|Defense against the Dark Arts||D||Professor Binns|
Speaking. Сharacterize the teachers at Hogwarts using the words and word combinations from the text.
III. Заключительная часть урока.
1. Домашнее задание.
Write a letter to Harry Potter. Include this information:
• what lesson at Hogwarts you liked best of all and why;
• what kind of teacher you would like to have and why.
2. Подведение итогов урока.
Did you enjoy reading the text "First Day at School in Year Five"? What is your attitude towards the main characters of the story? What was the most boring subject for Harry Potter at school? Do you think Harry was a brilliant pupil?
Л. Биркун, НАШ АНГЛИЙСКИЙ, учебник для 6 класса, Киев, Образование, 2006.
Л. Биркун, рабочая тетрадь, Киев, Образование, 2006.
Интернет-ресурсы указаны в тексте.