Teacher: Good- morning, everybody. Our lesson is dedicated to the greatest playwright of Great Britain -William Shakespeare.
Listen to some facts of his biography, please.
Pupil 1: The name of William Shakespeare is known all over the world. The Golden Age of English literary is often called» The Age of Shakespeare» (показывает плакат: The last half of the 16-th and the beginning of the 17-th centuries)
Pupil 2: He was born on April 1564 in Stratford-upon-Avon.
Pupil 3: In the year of 1564 the greatest writer used to be. He wrote sonnets, songs and plays. And he was born to be in love. His name was William, Will Shakespeare. (Показывает портрет.)
Pupil 4: His father John Shakespeare was a dealer in corn, meat, wool and leather. William’s mother Mary Arden was the daughter of a rich farmer.
Pupil 5: Being 18 years old William married Anne Hathaway, who was 9 years older than himself. They had a daughter Susanna and twins – a son Hamlet and a daughter Judith
Pupil 6: In 1567 Shakespeare went to work to London, where he began writing plays stayed at the Globe Theatre
Pupil 7: Only in 1611, at the height of his fame, Shakespeare returned to Stratford, where in April 23 1664 he died. He was buried in a fine old church in Stratford.
Teacher: Thank you very much. Now I d like you to choose the right answers of our test:
1. Shakespeare was born in the ….
a) 16- century
b) 18- century
c) 17- century
2. He got a good education in …
3. W. Shakespeare had … children.
a) five children
b) three children
c) four children
4. His wife Anne Hathaway …
a) didn t love theatre
b) loved theatre very much
c) never heard about theatre
a) acted on the stage
b) never acted on the stage
c) didn t like to act on the stage
6. Shakespeare wrote … plays and … sonnets.
Правильные ответы: 1а, 2b, 3b,4a,5a,6b.
Teacher: Thank you for your work. I think you know Shakespeare s life rather well. Let s listen to the account from one of Shakespeare s plays and tell us what play it is from.
To be or not to be, what is the question: –
Whether his nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous of fortune:
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing, end them?
Быть или не быть – таков вопрос ;
Что благородней духом – покоряться
Пращам и стрелам яростной судьбы
Иль, ополчась на море смут, сразить их
(Перевод М. Лозинского)
Pupil 9: The name of the play is « Hamlet».
Teacher: Right. Let s listen to another extract.
All the world s stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages.
Teacher: What s the name of the play ?
Pupil: “As you like it”. It is the famous speech of a character called Jaques.
Teacher: Excellent. Shakespeare wrote many sonnets (154). They are very popular and loved by our people. All of them were translated into different languages. Listen to some of them. (The pupils recite sonnets by Shakespeare).
Teacher: Dear friends,our lesson is up to the end. I m satisfied with your knowledge and activity at the lesson. I d like to give you a quiz about Shakespeare. You ll answer the questions at home. (Учитель раздает карточки с вопросами викторины.)
- When was Shakespeare born ? (April 23,1616)
- When did he die ? (April 23, 1664)
- Who was his wife ?(Farmer s daughter Anne Hathaway)
- Where is the Globe Theatre? (in London)
- Who was Shakespeare s favourite actrеss? (He never saw an actress, all roles were played by men)
- When was the modern building of Shakespeare Memorial Theatre opened? (in 1932)
- Where did the sonnet first appear ?(in Italy, in the 14-cеntury)
- How was Shakspeare called by common people? (The Swan of Avon, Sweet Swam of Avon, Great Unknown)
- How many plays (sonnets) did Shakspeare write ?(37 plays, 154 sonnets)
- When did he spend his last year of life ? (in Stradford)
- Who were the most romantic and tragic lovers? (Romeo and Juliet)
- Who was the most jealous person who even killed his wife? (Othello)
- Where did Shakespeare die and where was he buried? (on April 23,1664, he was buried in a church at Stratford)