- Образовательная - развивать навыки аудирования, чтения и монологической речи.
- Развивающая - развивать логическое мышление: учить детей самостоятельно анализировать, классифицировать и делать выводы.
- Практическая - практиковать учащихся в употреблении словообразовательных суффиксов и приставок; совершенствовать лексические навыки чтения.
- Воспитательная - прививать интерес к чтению книг, формировать терпимое отношение и уважение к мнениям другого человека.
Оборудование: проектор, магнитофон, раздаточный материал.
Aim: attract pupils' attention to the problem of reading books.
1. Review our mass media.
2. What kind of viewer are you? (quiz)
3. Listening comprehension "Television".
4. Reading "Television, Computers, Books".
5. Share opinion on reading books, watching TV and the Internet.
6. The fascination of reading (poem by R. Dahl).
Teacher: Good morning boys and girls! Today we are going to talk about mass media, compare the most popular ones television and the Internet with reading books. Our lesson consists of 6 steps.
1. Фонетическая зарядка.
Teacher: First let's review the words on our topic "Mass Media". Look at the blackboard. You see phonetic sounds. Name the words from our topic with these sounds.
2. Речевая зарядка
We are going to do the quiz "What kind of viewer are you?"
What sort of viewer are you? What's your relationship with television? To find out, choose the answer you like best and then read what your answers mean.
1. You look up the programmes before you put the TV on.
2. If there isn't a programme which interests you, you don't switch on the TV.
3. You've got favourite programmes which you can't miss.
- A lot
4. You like talking to friends about television programmts.
Majority of A answer.
For you watching TV is a way of escaping from reality. TV keeps you company and doesn't ask for much in return. Be careful not to isolate yourself from others or give up more interesting things. Sometimes it's good to escape from reality, but it's important that you shouldn't do it too often.
Majority of B answer.
Television isn't very important for you. It's no problem to give it up if there's something more interesting to do. But if you have to stay at home you watch whatever's on that night. So, be careful not to be too superficial in choise!
Majority of C answer.
You've got an active relationship with TV. You have a good critical sense and know how to choose programmes. Be careful not to give TV too much importance and don't let it influence your language and way of life too much. Sometimes it's better to read a book.
3. Аудирование текста
Listen to the text. For questions 1-5, decide where they are true or false according to the test.
The first commercial television broadcast was made on April 20, 1939 by Radio Corporation оf America. Since 1939, TV has become one of the most important facts of modern life. Television is very much a part of the modern world and its effects are felt all over the world.
Television is a reflection, say some people, of contemporary society. It affects customs and culture, others say.
Television is bad for society, because it keeps culture from growing, say still others. Good or bad, television is difficult to avoid. Its pictures enter homes, stores, airports, and offices. It is here to stay.
1. The Radio Corporation of America is important in the modern world. _________
2. Television has wide influence. _______
3. Television is bad for culture, some people say. __________
4. Television only provides us information but doesn't affect customs and culture. _______
5. Some people try to avoid television. _________
4. Работа с текстом
"Television, computers, books"
As far as books and computers are concerned, I can say in my firm confidence that computers will never replace books. First because they fulfil different functions. It's true that both books and computers contain information. But one computer is worth the whole library. So perhaps, computers will replace reference books because it's quicker and easier to find the necessary information in the computer than in reference books.
But I'm sure computers can't be compared to fiction. Historical novels, adventure books, detective stories, science fiction, romance, poems, recommended by teachers create a special atmosphere. They take us into the imaginary world of high human emotions, exciting relations. A computer can help you in reading these books without turning the pages but working on the computer demands certain effort. You are to sit straight, not to stoop, you keep your finger on the keyboard. Besides computers have a harmful impact on the eyesight. In me opinion, it's impossible to read "War and Peace" on the screen. We'll lack something important: the invisible contact with the writer who speaks with us from the passed centuries.
As to TV, it's role is expressed in the proverb, "It's better to see than to hear". Paraphrasing it we can say it's good to see after you have read. Screen versions of literary masterpieces add much to our understanding the author and arouse unforgettable emotions. But books are the greatest wonders in the world, which brings us knowledge and bring us up. Through centuries and distances we can keep in touch with the greatest minds in the universe.
Find English equivalents to these Russian sentences.
1. Что касается книг и компьютеров, я твердо уверен, что компьютеры никогда не заменят книги.
2. Я уверен, что компьютеры нельзя сравнить с художественной литературой.
3. Исторические романы, приключенческие книги, детективы, научная фантастика, романы и стихи, которые мы читаем ради удовольствия или по рекомендации учителей, создают особую атмосферу.
4. Книги - это величайшее чудо в мире. Они дают знания и воспитывают нас. Через времена и расстояния мы можем соприкоснуться с величайшими умами человечества.
Choose the correct variant to finish the sentences.
1. It is quicker and easier to find the necessary information
- in the reference book.
- watching TV
- in the computer.
2. A computer can help you in reading books without turning the pages but working on the computer
- has a harmful impact on eyesight.
- demands certain effort.
- doesn't bring pleasure.
3. Screen versions of literary masterpieces add much to our understanding
- the author and arouse unforgettable emotions.
- the art of film production.
- the problems of film making industry.
5. Работа над словообразовательными суффиксами и приставками.
Internet: How It Affects Us.
One of the most (1) ___________ (value) functions of the Internet is its (2) ___________ (inform) function. The Internet keeps people informed about current events, as well as about the (3) __________ (late) (4) _________ (achieve) in science and culture. You can even find out how to pass from the (5) _________ (ground) station to the house of your girlfriend, who (6) _________ (recent) moved to London. Recently a system of (7) ____________ (distant) learning became (8) _________ (popularize). You can study foreign languages and even study in universities. An individual (9) _________ (educate) program can be developed (10) ___________ (especial) for you. The Internet is also (11) ___________ (wide) used in business. Thanks to the Internet, we have rapid (12) _________ (connect) with partners from all corners of the world. You can even conduct (13) _________ (negotiate), hear and see your contacts, and (14) ___________ (change) graphic and textual information.
6. Работа над устной речью
Teacher: As you can understand reading books is very important, interesting and useful. But the number of young people who aren't reading is increasing. Even though they've got interesting books at home suitable for their age group and school libraries full of possibilities.
Share your opinion on this topic. Do you spend too little time on reading books? Haven't you become lazier? Why do children today read so little?
Teacher: I'd like you to read the poem by Roald Dahl "The Fascination Of Reading".
The most important thing we've learned,
So far as children are concerned,
Is never, NEVER, NEVER let
Them near your television set -
Or better still, just don't install
The idiotic thing at all.
IT ROTS THE SENSES IN THE HEAD!
IT KILLS IMAGINATION DEAD!
IT CLOGS AND CLUTTERS UP THE MIND!
IT MAKES A CHILD SO DULL AND BLIND
HE CAN NO LONGER UNDERSTAND
A FANTASY, A FAIRYLAND!
HIS BRAIN BECOMES AS SOFT AS CHEESE!
HIS POWERS OF THINKING RUST AND FREEZE!
HE CANON THINK - HE ONLY SEES!
"All right!" you'll cry. "All right!" you'll say.
"But if we take the set away,
What shall we do to entertain
Our darling children! Please explain!"
We'll answer this by asking you,
"What used the darling ones to do?
How used they keep themselves contented
Before this monster was invented?"
Have you forgotten? Don't you know?
We'll say it very loud and slow:
THEY : USED : TO : READ!
They'd READ and READ,
AND READ and READ,
and then proceed
TO READ some more :
7. Домашнее задание
Teacher: Your homework is to learn the poem by heart and to give a literary translation of it. In exercise 4 p. 51 in your workbook you should match the characters and the writers and write a few words about the writer and the character.
8. Заключительный этап урока
Teacher: I'm quite satisfied with your work at the lesson. I'm pleased with your answers. Thank you for today's lesson.
1. Биболетова М. З., Трубанева Н. Н. Программа курса английского языка, Обнинск, Издательство "Титул", 2008 г.
2. Биболетова М. З., Трубанева Н.Н. Учебник английского языка для 8 класса "Английский с удовольствием", Обнинск, Издательство "Титул", 2007 г.
3. Боярская Ю. "Средства массовой информации и интернет", Москва, Газета "Английский язык", Издательский дом "Первое сентября" №6, 2004 г.
4. Сушкевич А.С., Маглыш М.А. "Английский язык. Устные темы", Минск, ООО "Аверсэв", 1998 г.
5. Роялд Дал "Очарование чтения", журнал "Speak Out", Издательство "Глосса-Пресс", 1995.