Урок "Is it easy to be a teenager?". 9-й класс
- Кочетова Лидия Николаевна, учитель английского языка
Разделы: Иностранные языки
- to revise the vocabulary of topics “Being a teenager”, “Teen’s Pressures”, “Free Time Activities”;
- to practice the skill of speaking, expressing opinion after reading a text;
- to develop social skills, self – confidence and tolerance.
Students will be able:
- To hold on a conversation;
- To discuss a problem, situation, questions;
- To make a suggest, advise, disagree;
- To participate in debates.
Materials: Computer technologies (Приложение 1), a tape recorder, printouts with exercises and texts, pictures.
Which things are most important in people’s life when they are growing up? (family, friends, school, teachers, sport, music, computers)
What kinds of problems can young people face if they don’t have these things?
Is it easy to be a teenager?
2. Vocabulary (revision)
1) People say, it’s very hard to develop your character when you are a teenager. Are they right?
As far as I know for many teens it’s very important what other people think about them.
Think about your character doing the following.
Exercise 1 : Odd a word out.
- Embarrassed / shy / confident / anxious;
- Immature / naïve / conscientious / childlike;
- Responsible / conscientious / lonely / painstaking;
- Depressed / miserable / unhappy / independent;
- Smart / good-natured / well-round / intelligent;
- Rebellious /thrilled / uncontrolled / resistant;
- Restless / nervous / immature / tense;
- Irresponsible / weird / freakish / bizarre.
Change over your exercise books and check the answers.
Look at the screen and check the exercise.
2) So many people so many characters. If you are friendly you may have a lot of friends. Try to guess the kinds of character.
Exercise 2: Match each word or phrase from the list with a suitable description.
Co-operate determined helpful obedient realistic dependable
Embarrassed imaginative quarrelsome tolerant
- If you are this, you can’t put up with people looking at you. …..
- If you are this, you get on well working with others. ….
- If you are this, you face up to facts. ….
- If you are this, you might make up stories. ….
- If you are this, you carry out instructions. ….
- If you are this, you don’t give up easily. ….
- If you are this, you put up with other people’s differences. ….
- If you are this, you can count on you. …
- If you are this, you keep falling out with other people. ….
- If you are this, you might put yourself out for someone else. …
Check your answer.
3) How would you describe yourself? Can you be objective about your character? (My parents think that I’m …, but I think that I’m …)
As you know some teens join different subculture groups and movements. Why? What do some students of our gymnasium think about this problem.
Student 1: The ideal subculture for me is Goths. I completely agree with them because our life is very difficult. With white make-up, black lipstick and fingernails, this people certainly stand out in the crowd.
Student 2: I would like to join Emo. I approve their lifestyle and I hope it will help me to express my individuality.
Student 3: To my mind these subcultures are awful, because they are associated with drugs and violence. But some teenagers want to show off at the same time they think about changing the world to the best.
(after listening) What subcultures are mentioned? What other subcultures do you know?
You can learn more about it while reading the text.
After reading be ready to chose a topic and express your opinion.
Over the New EMO Goth Danger
(By Sarah Sands from Daily Mail)
Flicking through fashion magazines, I noticed that some of the models did not look very well.
A few of them appeared to be dead. This is because one of the key looks, especially at the younger end of the fashion spectrum, is Goths.
Faces are chalky white, eyes and lips black. You can wear any colour you like so long as it’s black.
The Emos – short for Emotional – regard themselves as a cool, young sub-set of the Goths.
Although the look is similar, the point of distinction, frightening for schools and parents, is a celebration of self harm.
Emos exchange competitive messages on their teenage websites about the scars on their wrists and how best to display them. Girls’ secondary schools have for some time been concerned about the increase in self harm.
The Internet has many sites dedicated to Emo fashion (dyed black hair brushed over your face, black, black, black), Emo bands (Green Day, Tokio Hotel), Emo conversation (sighing, wailing, poetry).
Who are the mail pin-ups for young girls? Johnny Depp. Lord Byron, of course, was the greatest Goth of all time.
Although Goths are from the same family tree as punks, they are a lot less fun to be with. While I loved punk for its energy, Goths were too bloodless to lift a finger.
One of the most annoying characteristics of teenagers is their refusal to open their curtains. Their world is dark and airless.
If this environment is coupled with psychological traits of self-pity, introspection, self-dramatisation and hormone imbalance, you have a fully-fledged Emo, even without the small T-shirt and black hair.
What worries me is that teenagers are less equipped to manage strong emotions and a cult of suicide could have real and horrible consequences.
- Teenage problems
- Leisure time activities.
Now we can answer the main question. Is it easy to be a teenager?
6. Project work
As you see a lot of teenagers who have problems in their lives need some advice. Try to help them.
Make up the text with the help of short phrases and words on the cards, choose the picture to illustrate your topic and tell us about your idea. Good luck! (Topics of the advice: travelling, extreme sport, applying for the first job, success).
(the example of advice:
If you want to have a change in your life travelling will help you!
It’s a good chance
- To find out about different cultures;
- To learn foreign languages;
- To discover new places and new ways of life;
- To try foreign food;
- To listen to unusual musical rhythms!
It’s much better than sitting at home and doing nothing!)
As you see, who can change his life?
Every man is the maker of his own fortune. You can change your life if you want!
8.Your marks are ...
9. Home work: to revise your advice to problem teens.
Thank you for your attention!