Цель урока: развитие языковой компетенции учащихся через обобщение знаний по теме “Is the Earth a dangerous place?”
- Обобщить грамматический и лексический материал по теме;
- Практиковать учащихся в аудировании и устной речи;
- Формировать системное представление учащихся о стихийных бедствиях, выявить наиболее важное и характерное.
- Развивать языковую догадку.
- учебник “Enjoy English-5” Биболетовой М.З.
- книга для учителя к учебнику “Enjoy English-5” Биболетовой М.З
- магнитофон, задания на аудирование №76, №77.
- презентация (Power Point)
- тексты на чтение.
Good morning, children! Good morning, dear guests! Glad to see you.
Let's begin our lesson on the topic “Is the Earth a dangerous place? ”. At our lesson we'll discuss natural disasters and their influence on the man and wildlife. (Заставка 1, 2)
Every day we hear about disasters that happen on our planet. They damage houses, destroy fields, kill animals and people.
- What natural disasters do you know? Remember and name the words concerning our topic beginning them with the following letters:
E (arthquake), V (olcano), F (lood),
H (urricane), T (ornado), D (rought)
/earthquake / hurricane / tornado / volcano / flood / drought /.
1b) 2c) 3d) 4e) 5a) 6f)
- Now divide into 3 groups. (Groups A, B, C). Read one of the passages about natural disasters and complete the texts with the words. You have 5 minutes and then be ready to exchange information with other groups. Take the papers.
Hit, hurricane, leave, destroyed, winds, hour
Hurricanes are very strong ______ that come from the sea. Warm wet air rises in a spiral and goes faster and faster - over 160 km an ______. In 1992, “Hurricane Andrew”_____Florida. The people there had to _____their homes and move to other towns and wait. When the______arrived, it killed 15 people and_______thousands and thousands of buildings. More than 50,000 people had nowhere to live.
Floods, leave, rained, water, level, waited, January
In _______ 1995 in the Netherlands, it rained and ______ for more than two weeks. The ______in the canals and rivers rose higher and higher and thousands of people had to ______ their homes because of the danger of ______. They went to other towns and ______ until the water ______ fell again.
Thousands, animals, winds, Africa, rain, desert, area, water
Sometimes in _____ climates, it does not ____ for a long time. This happened between 1968 and 1974 in The Sahel, in West _____. The ____changed direction and the _____ did not receive any rain for six years. Hundreds of ____of people and nearly half of the ______ in the area died because there wasn’t enough water. People had to walk many kilometers to find ______.
Well, it’s high time to check up your task. Who wants to try? One pupil from every group tells information which has read.
How clever you are!
- Now fill in the blanks. Use the words in the box. Your time’s 3 minutes.
Destructive, damage, destroyed, damaged
1. A powerful winter storm caused (…) to trees and power lines.
2. The floods in China during the summer (…) 5 millions houses.
3. The hurricane did a lot of (…) to houses in the area.
4. The last earthquake in the USA was very (…).
5. The building was severely (…) by the flood.
1- damage; 2- destroyed; 3- damage; 4- destructive; 5- damaged.
- Look at the monitor and say what natural disaster do these words describe best?
Terrible / dangerous / violent / blow down / strong wind.
It’s a hurricane.
What is typical of a hurricane?
Possible answers: A very violent wind is typical of a hurricane. /heavy rain/spinning air/
A hurricane's life lasts a little less than two weeks. Here's what a typical hurricane diary might look like. Look at the monitor again.
Day 1: A group of thunderstorms begins to grow and gather.
Day 3: Storms form a swirl, creating a tropical depression.
Day 5: Wind speeds reach 39 miles an hour.
Day 7: Hurricane develops when wind speeds top 74 miles per hour.
Day 12: Hurricane usually hits land and begins to fall apart.
- This summer a hurricane happened in our town. Try to describe the hurricane happened in July, using the words in your groups. You have 5 minutes.
To uproot trees
To damage houses
To destroy cars and roofs
To damage power lines
To suffer from a hurricane
To be injured
To make everything return to normal life.
- Well done! Taking into account all your answers I should say that the best answer was…
- In all disasters, nature and people need help. Who are the people, who help others, when there is a disaster?
Possible answers: Emergency workers / doctors / military men / firemen / water and gas workers.
- Now I want you to take part in the contest. Imagine that the Green peace organization asked you to design T-shirts warning people about natural disasters. Work in groups and design T-shirt on sheets of paper. Make a presentation of your T-shirts.
Possible answers: Be carefully! Don’t…! …is strictly prohibited! No…! Save…! Stop…!
Good for you! Everybody gets excellent marks.
- At home think over what people have to do if there are floods (group A), hurricane (group B), or snowstorms (group C)?
- Write a poster to give information about what to do. Use your imagination.
That is all for today. Thank you for the lesson.