- Развивать навыки коммуникативной компетенции в монологической и диалогической речи, аудировании и чтении.
- Активизировать употребление лексики по теме, расширять словарный запас.
- Способствовать ознакомлению с иноязычной культурой и расширению кругозора учащихся.
- Прививать любовь к музыке, знакомить с правилами поведения на концерте.
- Портреты композиторов, известных поп- и рок-музыкантов.
- Карточки с заданиями.
- Работы учащихся по темам “My favourite composer”, “My favourite singer”.
- Пластинки, кассеты, компакт-диски.
1. Оргмомент. Приветствие.
T: At the beginning of our lesson I’d like you to look at the blackboard. Here you can see some lines of words. In each line there is one different word. Your task is to find it.
Wind; weather; rain; woodwind; climate.
A turner; a blacksmith; a carpenter; a plumber; a musician.
A car; a phonograph; a train; an airplane; a bus.
Sixty; symphony; twenty; eighty; thirty.
Xylophone; telephone; radio; TV set; computer.
Painting; brushes; music; portrait; landscape.
Revolution; demonstration; proclamation; percussion; landscape.
2. Фонзарядка. Отработка чтения данных слов.
T: P1, tell us on what theme are all the different words.
P1: They are on the theme “Music”
T: Right you are. Today we are going to speak about music in our life.
3. Речевая зарядка
T: Answer my questions (Режим: T® P1, P2, P3 .... .)
- Can we live without music?
- Where can we hear music?
- Musical education in schools is very important, isn’t it?
- Why do people need music?
- What do you think, remember or feel while listening to music?
- What kinds of music do you know?
4. Аудирование короткого текста к учебнику “Open doors” [ 1]
T: Different people like different kinds of music. Besides some of them play musical instruments, others sing and the rest simply listen to music. Now let’s listen to Mr. Green and his students and answer the questions.
1) Прослушивание текста
2) Ответы на вопросы к тексту:
- How many students are there in Mr. Green’s class?
- How many like pop music?
- How many play a musical instrument?
- How many can sing?
- How many like classical music?
- How many like opera?
3) T: Will you answer the same questions about your class, please?
5. T: Is it difficult for you to understand opera, symphony and other classical pieces of music?
P1……, P2……. .
T: But I think that classical music is very beautiful and such composers as Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky ….. (показ портретов) and others composed wonderful melodies. Now let's listen to one of Tchaikovsky’s waltzes.
6. T: Very often people go to listen to classical music to different concert halls, theatres. Do you know the rules of people’s behaviour at a concert of classical music? [ 4]
P1 …., P2 ….., P3 ….. .
Затем учащиеся читают правила поведения, записанные на плакате:
- Please don’t drink during the performance.
- Please don’t eat during the performance.
- The taking of photographs is strictly forbidden.
- Please ensure that all alarms are switched off.
- Please try not to cough during the music.
7. T: Symphony music is played by big orchestras. There are many musical instruments in such orchestras. On the blackboard you can see the chain where the names of some musical instruments are hidden. Your task is to find them.
(Затем отрабатывается чтение названий музыкальных инструментов.)
8. T: Say if my statements are true or false.
- The harp is a woodwind instrument. (False)
- The violin is in the string section. (True)
- A cello is bigger than a violin. (True)
- The trumpet is a brass instrument. (True)
- Cymbals are in the string section. (False)
- Tubas are made of metal. (True)
- The bassoon is a woodwind instrument. (True)
- The viola is in the percussion section. (False)
9. T: Can you play a musical instrument?
P1 …. , P2 ….. , P3 ….. .
T: P4, I know that you’ve brought a guitar today. Will you play it?
(Ученик играет на гитаре)
10. T: If you can’t play a musical instrument or you don’t have the opportunity to go to a concert you can listen to music at home. Do you know the devices for reproducing music?
P1 …, P2 …., P3 … .
(Records, cassettes, cassette-recorders, CDs …., a phonograph)
T: Now let’s read the text about the history of sound recording. Then you’ll do some tasks on the text. 
- Чтение текста вслух по цепочке (P1, P2, P3 ….).
- Заполнение таблицы
The History of Sound Recording
An American called Thomas Alva Edison was the first man to record sound. In 1878 he invented a machine called a phonograph. The phonograph was a bit like a record player, but it used metal cylinders instead of discs (records) appeared ten years later.
Tape records first appeared in the 1930s, but they were large and expensive. Then, in 1963, the Philips Company developed the first cassette.
Cassettes are still very popular all over the world. But when you go into a music shop today, you don’t just see records and cassettes. There are CDs too, and DAT (digital audio tape) cassettes, and even video discs. The choice is amazing!
Complete the notes
|Inventor of the phonograph||Thomas Alva Edison|
|Year first records appeared||……|
|Year first cassettes appeared||……|
|Company who made first cassettes||……|
|Different products in music shops||1Records
11. T: So if you want to buy a cassette, a record or other products of this kind you go to a music shop. Imagine that you are in a music shop. (Разыгрывание диалога) 
Assistant: Hi, сan I help you?
Susan: Yes, I’m looking for an album by Derek Caine.
Assistant: What’s it called?
Susan: I can’t remember, I’m afraid. But it’s the latest one.
Assistant: Oh, yes, I know. “Tropical Heat”.
Susan: Yes, that’s right.
Assistant: Do you want the CD?
Susan: No, thanks. I haven’t got a CD player.
Assistant: Record or cassette then?
Susan: Mm. I’m not sure. How much are they?
Assistant: They’re both Ј 8.99.
Susan: I’ll have the cassette, please.
Assistant: OK. Would you like a bag?
Susan: No, I’ve already got one, thanks.
12. T: This girl has bought a cassette with the songs of the group “Red Alert”. If I’m not mistaken it’s a rock-group. But do you know the history of rock-music? Some students in your class are ready to speak about it. (Учащиеся рассказывают об истории рок-музыки). 
In the fifties in pop music of the USA rock’n’roll appeared. It was based on the Afro-American style rhythm and blues. But many people in the USA and even state authorities began to fight against rock’n’roll. Many senators, priests, public figures and teachers were against the new style of music because they didn’t want the white young people to mix with the black ones.
One of the pioneers of rock’n’roll was a young talented lorry-driver from Memphis Elvis Presley. His family wasn’t rich and he never learned to play a musical instrument. But he had a charming voice and a nice manner of singing. He gave many concerts, made a lot of long-playing records which were sold out very quickly, took part in TV and radio shows. He became very popular and very rich.
We have all grounds to say that Elvis Presley is considered to be the king of rock’n’roll.
Let’s listen to one of his songs.
At the end of the fifties - at the beginning of the sixties rock’n’roll became the phenomenon of mass culture. Many businessmen did their best to draw people’s attention to this kind of music: it was broadcasted over the radio, TV; a lot of new records of different singers were made. At first rock’n’roll music was about the youth’s problems but then the singers began to sing about love and everyday life. And a new type of music appeared on the basis of rock’n’roll. It was pop, a typical example of mass culture.
Meanwhile in Britain a new musical style was formed. It was called “British rock” or simply ”beat”.
Speaking about British beat-music we can’t but mention the city of Liverpool. Beat-music was called “Mersey-beat” there. The most typical example of Mersey-beat is the famous group “The Beatles”.
The Beatles, the first really important British pop group was formed by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr. They came from Liverpool, a town in the north of England. The Beatles had their first hit record in 1962. They gave concerts in Germany and America where they had even greater success.
After 1965 the Beatles worked mostly on films and albums (long-playing records).In the sixties they created successful records and interesting films. The Beatles were very popular especially with the youth. Beatlemania was the word used to describe the reaction of fans all over the world.
In 1970 the group split up. Yet Lennon and McCartney– and the Beatles ? produced some of the most famous pop songs ever.
Let’s sing the song “Yesterday”.
The years of 1967 – 1968 were the flourishing years for rock music. A great role in it was played by the “underground”, an informal unity of actors, musicians, writers, artists. At that time there were such underground groups as “Pink Floyd”, “Soft Machine”, “Purple Gang” and others.
A typical rock-group had the following set of instruments: one or two electric guitars, a bass guitar and the drums. One of the main characteristic features of a rock-group is that the texts and music of the songs were composed by the members of the group.
There is no denying the fact that jazz and classical music greatly influenced rock music. Some rock musicians composed music to be played by a rock-group together with the symphony orchestra. Such a style of music was called art-rock. One of the groups that had the experience of performing music together with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra was “Deep Purple”.
Now listen to the song of this group.
In the seventies teenagers lost their interest in rock-music and were carried away by music of the disco-style. No doubt you’ve heard the names of such groups as “Boney M”, “ABBA”, and many others.
Let's listen to a piece of music of this style.
Then at the end of the seventies young people became interested in the new style of hard rock which was called “heavy metal”. The musicians behaved very strangely on the stage: they jumped, ran, moved their bodies and did other strange things.
It should be taken into account that in the 1980s and 1990s young people got interested in the new rock culture. It was electronic rock and pop music. The representatives of this style performed rather professional and serious music. We can mention such groups as “The Human League”, “Depeche Mode” and others. There is no denying the fact that the appearance of video music contributed much to the spreading of this kind of music.
To finish all up I must say that there are many musicians and singers who have been popular with different people both young and not so young for many years. Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson, “The Rolling Stones”, “Status Quo”, “U-2” and many others are among them.
13. T: Thank you very much for your stories.
Everybody has his own favourite singer. Let’s play the game “Guess my favourite singer”. (Режим Cl>P1). Учащиеся задают вопросы такого типа:
Is this a man or a woman? When and where was he (she) born? What country does he (she) live in? Etc.
14. T: At our lessons we often sing songs and of course you know many of them. Now I’m going to describe some songs and your task is to guess them.
- This song is about a boy who has found a good wife for himself. But she’s a young thing and cannot leave her mother. (“Billy Boy”)
- In this song the young man is sad because he has parted with his girl-friend last night. And now he is long for that. (“Yesterday”)
- The next song tells us about a man who had two daughters. His elder daughter is the main character of the song. But one day she fell into the river and was drowned. (“Clementine”)
- This song is based on the Bible. The event took place in the desert in one of the African countries. (“Go down, Moses”)
- The fifth song tells about a woman who helps us in different difficult situations in our lives. The Beatles performed this song. (“Let it be”)
- In this song a girl tells us about her love for music. When she starts to sing everybody listens to her. She thanks music because she can’t live without it. (“Thank you for the music”)
15. T: I think you agree that we can’t live without music and it helps us in various situations in our life. People are happy because they have music. Let’s finish our lesson with the song of the Swedish group “ABBA”- “Thank you for the music”
16. Итоги урока
17. Домашнее задание
- Norman Whitney “Open Doors” by Oxford University Press (Level 1, p.73-74)
- Norman Whitney “Open Doors” by Oxford University Press (Level 2, p.64–66)
- Старков А.П. Учебник английского языка для 9 класса. С-П.-, Специальная литература, 1996 г., C. 160 - 163.
- “Иностранные языки в школе” № 6. 2002. C. 50
- Календарь школьника, М., - Политиздат, 1991. C. 119 - 127